Tuesday, June 16, 2009

PBurgh and the NBA Finally Meet!; The Big Fella


I'm not a huge NBA fan. Particularly because the NBA is a players' league, and there was never a player I grew fond of enough to watch their team day in and day out. Of course, I followed the season, respected the stars, and had opinions on the controversies, but never have I passionately experienced an NBA game. Friends, a change is gonna come, and soon. Dejuan Blair is coming, and wherever he goes, I go with.

I've followed Blair since the Schenley High School days-when he was doubted to become a Division I starter, when he almost single-handedly stunned a powerhouse Dematha team with 32 points and 20 rebounds. When he helped bring his team to a #11 ranking in the nation.

They doubted him at Pitt too. How could he start as a 6-7,270 pound guy? How could he compete against the monsters in the Big East. The Luke Harangodys, the Roy Hibberts, the Hasheem Thabeets. He won co-rookie of the year in the Big East. The following year is history. He dominated the frontcourt, wrestling Thabeet to the floor and willing his team to a #1 ranking for the first time ever.

Now he's touted as the draft's best rebounder. He's the guy that does the dirty work, and won't leave the paint until he gets the ball in his "suction cup" hands. He has a 7'2 wingspan and a new slim, yet muscular build. At the start of the draft buzz, he was thought to be drafted in the mid to late first round. Now he's a possible lottery pick. Draft predictions will come soon; but right now, I'm basking in the Blair. I can't wait until this kid gets in the NBA. He's the Pittsburgh connection that I've been waiting for.

No comments:

Post a Comment