Friday, July 10, 2009

Fear and Loathing in Las Pittsburgh; So Long Sanchez?


Well not so much loathing, but there's definitely some fear on the homefront this week.

I swear, every time I check-scratch that-refresh my computer screen, I take a deep breath and prepare to see that the Pirates have arranged some massive trade that will send me into hibernation for the next month-I just won't be able to bear it anymore. ha....ha.....

Rumors are flying in the Steel Mill, and the Pirates' starting roster and bullpen aren't coming out intact. According to several sources, including the PG's Dejan Kovacevic, the Pirates are pushing to trade Freddy Sanchez-coupled with their closer Matt Capps for a side-dish. I'm really not sure about the return, but i'm expecting a couple prospects at a cheap price with a lot of upside. Call me Dr. Obvious.

I'm scared.

I really like Freddy, and he's always been a great guy with a clutch bat. And to boot, I will really miss his facial mole. It added a really nice touch to the clubhouse. There's something about Freddy's stature that calms me, and tells me that it's going to be ok. But, he's expensive and if we can get upside prospects fo' cheap, the Pirates might as well stick to their plan.

Pirates fans are taking a beating right now, but the best we can do is look to the future and be confident, because Huntington is sticking to his plan. And when the time comes, the plan will either succeed or he will have to directly face the consequences. At the moment, however, the Pirates are amazingly still in the run for a playoff spot, given the weakness of their division.

Let's face it, seeing "Pirates trade their only All-Star for Prospects" on the top of the sports section is going to lose a lot of fans. For those of you Bucs fans that are on the cusp of a fallout after McLouth and Morgan were cast away, all I can ask is that you don't just look at the headlines and formulate your opinions. Also, don't look at this from a 17 year timeline. We're rebuilding from 2 years ago, with a new manager. It takes a long time, and we're at a pretty good spot after two years, given how dreadful a spot Littlefield left the team at.

Sanchez is probably going to go, and i'm sure Wilson and Laroche will follow. For all the pirate fans left with me, let's bite down, and be proud to say we stuck through it when everyone else is running to celebrate a 2012 championship.

can someone take me to the psych ward?

No comments:

Post a Comment